Domestic Partnerships

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where to apply:

Chippewa County Clerk's Office
711 N. Bridge St. Room 109
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Closed Weekends and Holidays)

Fee: $75.00

What is a Domestic Partnership? A domestic partner means an individual who has signed and filed a declaration of domestic partnership with a partner of the same sex in the office of the register of deeds of the county in which he or she resides.

Criteria for forming a Domestic Partnership:

  • The individuals are members of the same sex
  • Each individual is at least 18 years old and capable of consenting to the domestic partnership.
  • Neither individual is married to, or in a domestic partnership with another individual
  • The 2 individuals share a common residence. Two individuals may share a common residence even if any of the following applies:
    • Only one of the individuals has legal ownership of the residence
    • One or both of the individuals have one or more additional residences not shared with the other individual
    • One of the individuals leaved the common residence with the intent to return
  • The 2 individuals are not nearer of kin to each other than 2nd cousins, whether of the whole or half blood or by adoption.

What do we need to bring?

Both individuals should appear at time of application and present the following documents:

  • Record of Birth - Must have a certified birth certificate. If you were born in Chippewa County, you can purchase a copy from the Register of Deeds.
  • Proof of Residence - A Driver's License, ID Card, or other form giving place of residence. (Where residence has last been established for a period of 30 days or more). If driver's licenses are not current, bring a copy of a bill that shows where your current address has been for the last 30 days.
  • Social Security Number (Do not have to have the actual card)
  • A copy of a divorce judgment, domestic partnership termination, annulment paper, or a death certificate must be presented for the last previous marriage, if any applicant has been married before.
  • Cash, check or money order for payment. No credit card or debit cards accepted.

Application Process

Applicants must appear at the County Clerks office in the county which they reside in along with their birth certificates, drivers licenses, last past marriage/domestic partnership termination paperwork, social security number and check or money order.

The County Clerk or Deputy County Clerk will fill out the domestic partnership application. Each applicant will verify and sign the application and then come back to the Clerks office after 5 days to sign the declaration certificate in front of a notary. That certificate is then taken to the Register of Deeds of the same county for filing.

The County Clerk may at his or her discretion, may waive the 5 day waiting period for an additional $10 based on good cause.


A domestic partner may terminate the domestic partnership by filing a completed notice of termination of domestic partnership from the county clerk who issues the declaration of partnership and paying the $75 fee. The notice must be signed by both partners and notarized. If the notice is only signed by one of the domestic partners, that individual must also file with the county clerk an affidavit stating either of the following:

  • That the other domestic partner has been served in writing provided under s. 801.11 that a notice of termination of domestic partnership is being filed with the county clerk.
  • That the domestic partner seeking termination has been unable to locate the other domestic partner after making reasonable efforts and that notice to the other domestic partner has been made by publication as provided as below:
    • Notice by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the residence most recently shared by the domestic partners is located. The notice need not be published more than one time.

Upon receiving a completed, signed, notarized notice of termination of domestic partnership and the fee has been paid, the county clerk shall issue to the domestic partner filing the notice of termination a certificate of termination of domestic partnership. The domestic partner shall submit the certificate of termination of domestic partnership to the register of deeds of the county in which the declaration of domestic partnership is recorded. The register of deeds shall record the certificate and forward the original to the state registrar of vital statistics.
The termination of a domestic partnership is effective 90 days after the certificate of termination of domestic partnership is recorded with the Register of Deeds.